The Portfolio Advisory Board pursues two key strategies in helping to bring about economic justice and live out the Congregation's Mission:
The PAB monitors the Congregation's investments and engages in shareholder activity on matters of justice (encouraging corporations that we invest in to be fair and responsible to workers, customers, and the environment)
- Made Hasbro toys safer
- Increased access to HIV/AIDS medicines
- Removed genetically modified ingredients from Cheerios cereal
- Eliminated hormone-treated milk in Yoplait yogurt
The PAB makes low-interest loans to non-profit community organizations that benefit low-income people and underserved communities. Some of our investments help support literacy training in Haiti, natural food cooperatives in New England, and microenterprise in the Philippines – just to name a few.
- Since 1978, the PAB has made loans totallng over $37 million at a 98.7% return rate.
- In many cases, the PAB's faith in untried community organizations has encouraged other faith-based organizations to invest in them.